Stonehouse History Group

Welcome to the web site for Stonehouse History Group

- promoting  interest in the History of Stonehouse & the locality.


The first regular place of worship in Stonehouse was in the Malt House in the High street, roughly where the co-op is now, in connection with the Lady Huntingdon Chapel at Ebley. This building was incorporated with the old institute.

Lady Huntingdon – was Selina Hastings, Countess of Huntingdon (1707-1791). She was an English religious leader who played a prominent part in the religious revival of the 18th century and the Methodist movement in England and Wales. She preached with George Whitefield and John Wesley, she was responsible for founding 64 chapels and contributed to the funding of many others.

In 1812 a chapel was opened on the site on the opposite side of the road, adjoining the Crown & Anchor Hotel, and was used for worship for eleven years.

In 1823 a new chapel was built in the Laburnum Walk used for only 4 years.

The Congregational Church in the High Street was built in 1827, school rooms were added in 1850 and the organ in 1855.

The Jubilee entrance arch commemorated the Golden Jubilee of the building, and was not as many people thought, anything to do with Queen Victoria.

The church closed in December 1964 and the building was gutted by fire in April 1967.

There is a little row of shops on the site now but some of the grave stones have been kept in a little remembrance garden behind them.

From :- C L Smith writings.

Congregational Ministers:-

William Richards                             1823

D B Evans                                      1837

Thomas Maund                               1838

J C Ramsey                                    1863

George Wallis                                1866

J C Ramsey                                    1867

Charles Knibbs                               1870

John Bullock M A                            1874

A C Moorman                                 1882

George Jarvis                                 1886

Edward Lee                                    1897

Rowland Sturt                                1908

Benjamin Bindings                          1920

George C Mackay                            1928