Stonehouse History Group

Welcome to the web site for Stonehouse History Group

- promoting  interest in the History of Stonehouse & the locality.

Bond's Mill, the lowest mill in the parish, was first mentioned in 1714. In 1724 it was sold to four clothiers by John Ball, lord of Stonehouse manor, whose family may have worked the mill for some time earlier; his father, also John Ball, was a cloth factor of Blackwell Hall; a Samuel Ball, clothier, of Stonehouse, died c. 1654 and John Ball a clothier, perhaps Samuel's son, in 1668.

By 1750 Bond's Mill was being worked by Richard Pitt, who purchased it soon afterwards, and Mrs. Pitt, a widow, put the mill up for sale in 1774. In 1787 when it comprised four pairs of fulling-stocks it was being worked by Messrs. Eycott; Henry Eycott was leasing it to William Wood in 1832,  and Frederick Eycott to William Wise in 1840.  A power-loom was installed at the mill in 1837.  Bond's Mill was occupied by Charles Warner in 1863,  but by 1870 it had been acquired by the Eastington firm of Charles Hooper, which apparently rebuilt it in 1887 and continued to produce cloth there until 1934.

From Victoria county history - a history of Gloucestershire - Stonehouse an economic history

Bond's Mill

Bonds Mill in WW2 Walk to Bonds Mill Victoria County History More on Bonds Mill