Stonehouse History Group

Welcome to the web site for Stonehouse History Group

- promoting  interest in the History of Stonehouse & the locality.

Lower High Street 1887

Park House around 1890

The Regal Cinema Gloucester Road Stonehouse

Wycliffe Bridge not long after it was built in 1935.

The Wycliffe Memorial Bridge at Ryeford was opened in 1935 and was given to the school by Mr Hubert Batchelar in memory of his wife and father-in-law. It enables the pupils to cross the busy road without any danger from moving traffic.

- supplied by Shirley Dicker

Pitman DNA Project

Are you a Male Pitman/Pittman?

More Info Web Page

Stonehouse Lower High Street long ago - 1887 - during Queen Victoria’s Jubilee celebrations.

History of Stonehouse

Stonehouse appears in William the Conqueror’s Domesday Book of 1086 under its Old English name “Stanhus” - so called, it is believed, because the Manor House was built of stone rather than the usual wattle and daub. Stonehouse Court now stands at the Manor House site next to St Cyr’s Church by the Stroudwater Canal and the River Frome. In medieval times the Manor lands included a great deer park, a vineyard, and the manor corn mill at Lower Mill. Upper Mill also probably existed in 1086, and later became a cloth mill, joined by several others including Bond’s Mill. These mills continue today as commercial centres.

History of Stonehouse Video

Stonehouse History introduction.

The Stroud Show John Pye  trophy silver cup  won for the Concours d’Elegance for commercial vehicles class which the company C W Vick Ltd won six times.

The last time in 1980 was the fourth in a row so they kept the cup.

From the Stroud News December 1980

C. W. Vick gets to keep the Stroud Show Concours d’Elegance for commercial vehicles class cup.

St Cyr’s Church is one of the oldest buildings in Stonehouse, the tower dating from the 14th century.The churchyard contains an impressive array of 17th and 18th century monuments

The woollen industry was important to Stonehouse people, first as producers of wool and later as experts in textiles. The small mills of the 17th and 18th century supported work at home for the growing population of the village, later changing to a factory system. As the textile industry declined, Stonehouse remained a thriving place as smaller businesses of every type took over.

Stonehouse is in an ideal position for trade having a river, canal and railway close at hand. The Stonehouse Brick and Tile Company was established in 1890, gradually slicing away one side of Doverow Hill, and remained an important employer for some 70 years. The Second World War brought the engineering companies, Hoffmann’s and Sperry Gyroscope, which heralded a new modern industrial estate, based at the western edge of the town, now near the M5 motorway.

Despite the growth of industry, Stonehouse remains an attractive rural town close to beautiful countryside. Its wide High Street contains a number of historic buildings from old coaching inns to the Post Office built of local brick in 1933. It is but a few minutes’ walk to experience the delights of rivers, woods and hills surrounding our historic town.

Please peruse and enjoy our web site which has been created as an eclectic mix of  Stonehouse history from as far back as we can go up to modern day, as history is being made all the time.

Regal Cinema photos

“In 1937 my Dad Mr A J Stratford had the Regal cinema built in Gloucester Road with 406 seats. The cinema was profitable for many years until television came in and then profits started to fall off so, in 1959, Dad decided to sell up.  The last film shown there was “Operation Amsterdam”.”

Peggy Blanch’s story

Other memories of the Regal